In celebration of Steven Tyler's recent 65th birthday, let's review some crazy events in Steven's long and crazy career in Aerosmith:
1. Steven fired Joe Perry backstage at a Cleveland show in 1979 after an argument among the band's girlfriends and wives that climaxed in a tossed drink of milk. Yes...Aerosmith literally broke up over spilled milk and were down to two original members before the original lineup reformed in 1984.
2. Back in the '80's Aerosmith Manager Tim Collins tried to institute spot drug testing. But Steven often cheated by storing drug free urine in condoms taped to his thigh, but finally got caught when the drug lab reports came in and said the urine was a week old.
3. When Aerosmith appeared in Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band movie, Steven was upset when he found out that during the filming that he would get killed at the end by Peter Frampton! But a solution was arrived at in which Steven would get pushed to his death by a female character, a far less embarrassing event evidently.
4. In 2008, much to the frustration of Joe Perry, Steven flew to England to spend a day jamming with Jimmy Page, John Paul Jones, and Jason Bonham with the intent of possibly replacing Robert Plant on a Led Zep tour. We now know how that one turned out.
5. At an August 2009 gig, frustrating Joe Perry even further, Steven attempted to keep the crowd entertained during a partial power outage in a thunderstorm by going to the front of the stage and trying to do one of his "Tyler moves" but fell eight feet down off the stage, leaving him to admit that he was high on a prescription drug for insomnia.
6. But the craziest moment of them all came when Steven signed up for American Idol without telling the rest of Aerosmith even though they're on tour together. After reading about it in the papers Joe Perry angrily confronted him. Steven's explanation? "Well, c'mon, man, two months ago you were trying to throw me out of the band, so I got myself a job."
Still crazy after all these years.